In case you didn’t realize, we’re almost halfway through 2017. (No, this is not going to be a where did the time go post, even though – seriously – where did the time go?) That means it’s almost July and the start of Plastic Free July.
Plastic Free July is a simple campaign which “aims to raise awareness of the amount of plastic in our lives by encouraging people to eliminate the use of single-use plastic during July each year. It’s focus is on creating awareness of the issues surrounding plastic, particularly single-use, providing alternatives and solutions, and encouraging new habits.”
So while Plastic Free July isn’t advocating for a total zero waste lifestyle, it does attempt to tackle arguably zero waste’s biggest issue: plastic.
Instead of plastic straws, try metal* or glass options! What about always tossing a reusable cup* into your bag?
Sounds awesome, right?
How to participate in plastic free july
- Sign up on the site to be counted in the official Plastic Free July numbers.
- Take a quiz to help you find out what types of plastics are your enemy (and what to avoid during July)
- Decide on specific actions you can take during Plastic Free July to reduce your waste. (Tons of ideas below!)
- Spread the word! Share with friends, families, and complete strangers whenever possible!
- Share your success online to spread the message even more!
I’ll be participating all month which I’ll recap here on the blog as well as on Instagram. Be sure to follow me there where I’ll be showing off my tips on avoid plastic, wins, losses, and everything in between!
(PS. If you’re Indy-specific, please tag any photos you share on social media with the hashtag #plasticfreeindy!)
resources to help you go plastic free during july
- How to order zero waste from Amazon
- How to brew zero waste coffee or tea
- How to do a trash audit
- How to create a zero waste essentials kit
- A simple list of zero waste essentials
- A zero waste 7 day challenge
- Zero waste challenges to try this weekend
Will you be participating in Plastic Free July? What would you like to focus on reducing? What are the challenges you anticipate?